Meet Pius Adesanmi, a Nigerian Professor with Carlton University in Canada that is among those that died on the ill fated Ethiopia airline on his way to attend AU ECOSOCC committee.
1.. Pius Adesanmi was born in February 1972
2. He hails from Isanlu, Yagba East local government area of Kogi state.
3. He got his B.A from University of Ilorin in 1992. He proceeded to University of Ibadan where he got his M.A in French (1998). He got his doctorate degree (French studies) from the University of British Columbia in 2002.
4. From 2002 to 2005, he was Assistant Professor of Comparative Literature at the Pennsylvania State University, USA. In 2006, he joined Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada as a Professor of literature and African studies. He has also been a Fellow of the French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA) from 1993 to 1997, as well as of the French Institute of South Africa (IFAS) in 1998 and 2000
5. In 2015, he gave a TED talk titled “Africa is the forward that the world needs to face”.
6. In 2018. he was involved in an accident along Oyo-Ogbomosho road on his way to Lagos from Ilorin to board a flight to Dakar for a meeting.
7. Many of his works have been nominated for awards. He was the winner of the Penguin Prize for African Writing (Non-fiction) in 2010. He was also nominated for a 2012 Capital Educators’ Award. The Erasmus Teaching Award, Penn State University, Spring 2006 was also given to him. Professor Pius Adesanmi also won the Association of Nigerian Author’s Poetry Prize in 2001.